SpectrumTalk has moved!

25th Anniversary of FCC Decision Enabling Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

25th Anniversary of FCC Decision Enabling Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
A series of posts describing how this all came about. (Click on picture above)

Thursday, January 22, 2009


It's Chairman Copps for Now


Today FCC released the following "Statement of Commissioner Copps on His Designation as Acting FCC Chair":

"I am honored to be designated today as Acting Chairman of the FCC. I thank President Obama for his confidence in me and for this opportunity to serve. I know that I have a truly gifted and terrific team to work with. I pledge every effort I am capable
of to help steer the Commission through its current transition to new leadership."
He also sent the following longer message to FCC staff that was not publicly released,

"Today I was honored to be designated Acting Chair of the FCC by President Barack Obama. I thank him for his confidence and pledge myself to do everything I can to help steer the Commission through the current transition to new leadership.

The success of my pledge depends on each of you. I have expressed many times my pride in working with what I consider to be the finest and best-performing team in government. So, first of all, I thank you for your work on behalf of the public interest. Public service is among the most honorable of callings and, with new challenges and opportunities before us, the work of the FCC becomes more important than ever.

We face many challenges. The immediate challenge is to do everything we can to minimize potential dislocation caused by the DTV transition. I expect this to occupy the lion’s share of Commission activity in the weeks ahead. Many of you have been putting in long days on this problem. Your work is immensely appreciated in grappling with what is surely one of the most serious challenges in Commission history.

I will be back to you more directly in the days just ahead about our first steps to improve the lines of internal communications within the Commission; to ensure that each of us is a full and active partner in the work of this great institution; and to cultivate the great synergies of talent and intellect that exist here. I know full well that we have the ability, the expertise and the sense of public purpose to step up to all of the communications challenges and opportunities of the Twenty-first century. We live in exciting times and work in a place that can be a central player in helping every American harvest those great opportunities. I look forward to working with Commissioner Adelstein, Commissioner McDowell and each of you on our important work."
Congratulations to Chmn. Copps on an honor well deserved!

No comments: