Letter From Commissioner Copps to Chairman Martin Proposing Steps the FCC Should Take to Advance the DTV Transition
Yesterday the FCC website posted the letter mentioned in the title here.
Comm. Copps proposes the following actions in the next few months:
1. Conduct additional field testing
2. Dedicate a special FCC Team to the needs of at-risk communities
3. Ramp up the FCC Call Center
4. Prepare comprehensive DTV contingency plans
5. Create an online DTV Consumer Forum
6. Educate consumers on DTV trouble-shooting, including antenna issues and the
need to “re-scan” converter boxes and sets
7. Ensurethat broadcasters meet their construction deadlines
8. Encourage the rapid deployment of small, battery-powered DTV sets
9. Find a way to broadcast an analog message to consumers following the
An attachment to the letter gives details on each proposal. Comm. Copps believes that each of these steps could be implemented by FCC on its own authority.